Assalam alai kum
As a Mom you may have heard many times your kids saying . “My friend has got such a new bike. Mine is too old. “ OR “ Why are veggies there for lunch, could you not make grilled chicken instead. “
Comments like these are very common these days. As compared to our previous generations we have so much more yet we are so much more depressed than them. The chief reason is that our desires have blinded our vision to an extent that we have overlooked all the other blessings Allah gave us. Allah has mentioned in Quran And [remember] when your Lord proclaimed, ‘If you are grateful, I will surely increase you [in favor]; but if you deny, indeed, My punishment is severe.’ [Quran, 14:7]
This is a ready-made formula for attracting more of what you want in life.
In these times inculcating gratitude in Kids is a big task. Below are some tips which can help Biidhnillah
- Do not Overindulge your kids or give too much in terms of material possession.
- Teach the difference between things they need and things they like but can certainly survive without. You may feel pressure to satisfy all your children request but it is necessary to say No when required.
- Set limits based on their values and let them know what is enough
- Set a good example for kids
- Read Quranic verses, ahadith and good Islamic story books like
- Share your experiences
- We should instill in them that whatever we have is from Allah alone.
- Teach them that not recognizing Allah's pleasure may earn us his punishment. As mentioned in Quran Why should Allah punish you if you have thanked (Him) and have believed in Him? And Allah is Ever All-Appreciative (of good), All-Knowing”[(An-Nisa, Verse #147)].
- Remind them that most of Duaas we say like right from waking up to eating food and also Surah Fatiha begins with word Alhamdulillah. This should not merely be recited by lips but should be felt within the heart.
- Try to learn this Duaa and teach it to kids as well.
Allahumma a'inni alaa dhikrika, wa shukrika, wa husni 'ibaadatika
Oh Allah! Assist me in remembering You, and being grateful to You and worshiping You in a beautiful manner.
The above post is a reminder to me first to inculcate it in my kids. May Allah help us in instilling gratitude in ourselves and our families. Aameen ya rabb