Jul 15 , 2021
Good Deed Of The Day : Importance of Dhikr and Takbeer in the blessed days of Dhulhijjah
Alhumdolillah we have already entered the first 10 days of Dhul-hijjah which are a great blessing from Allah (swt) and a great opportunity for us to earn immense reward by doing various kinds of good deeds.
Dhikr or Remembrance of Allah is the best ibadah we can do in these days. This is the worship that has no special time or special place but it can be performed constantly with our tongue and heart. It is the best action which raises our rank to the highest in the eyes of Allah(swt).
One of the simple and powerful sunnah of this month especially the first 10 days is to be in a constant state of dhikr. Our Prophet ( Saws) said,
“ There are no days greater in the sight of Allah and in which righteous deeds are more beloved to Him than these ten days, so during this time recite a great deal of Tahleel, Takbeer and Tahmeed.” ( Ahmad)
Tahleel is saying La ilaha illa Allah (There is no God but Allah)
Tahmeed is to say Alhumdolillah( All praises be to Allah)
Takbeer is to say Allahu Akbar (Allah is the greatest)
Tasbeeh is saying Subhaan-Allah(Glory be to Allah)
While there are different versions, Takbeer can be recited as… ..
- Allahu Akbar, Allahu Akbar, La ilaha illallAllah, Wallahu Akbar, Allahu Akbar, Walillah al-hamd. (Allah is the greatest, Allah is the greatest, there is no God but Allah, Allah is the greatest, Allah is the greatest and all praises are for Allah only)
- Allahu Akbar, Allahu Akbar kabeera wal-hamdu lillahi kathira, wa subhan-Allahi bukratan was asila. (Allah is most great, Allah is most great and much praise be to Allah and glorified be Allah at the beginning and end of the day.) We can recite these as often as possible at home, on the street, while in the mosque, while doing our daily chores , after the prayers and at every place where it is permitted to remember Allah and mention his name. It is legislated for the men to raise their voices while reciting ;as for the woman she can recite in low voice in her house.
Ibn Umar and Abu Huraira ( May Allah be pleased with them both) used to go out in the market place during the first 10 days of Dhul-hijjah reciting Takbeer and the people would recite after him. Thus the whole city would echo with the dhikr of Allah (swt) proclaiming His Greatness and Oneness. We can create such an environment atleast in our home by encouraging and prompting one another to recite takbeer in order to revive sunnah and as a reminder for the negligent.
“And remember Allah during (specific) numbered days”(Surah Al-baqarah:203) . This verse refers to the days of Tashriq i.e 11th, 12thand 13th of Dhulhijjah.
Thus Takbeer can be of 2 types
1.A general or Unrestricted takbeer- Meaning that it is not restricted to a particular time and this refers to all of the first 10 days of Dhulhijjah right through to the last days of tashriq.
2.Specific or Restricted takbeer- The takbeer is recited after the daily prayers beginning from fajr prayer on the day of Arafah( 9th dhulhijjah) untill Asr prayer of the 13th dhulhijjah.
We can also do Dhikr in the following ways :
- In Makkah the talbiyah is on every pilgrims tongue, those at home can also praise Allah by reciting talbiyah constantly in these 10 days
- Morning and Evening Adhkar
- Reciting Subhan-Allahi wa bi hamdihi ( Glory be to Allah and praise Him)
- Dhikr after every prayer Subhan-Allah 33 times, Alhumdolillah 33 times and Allahu Akbar 34 times
- Istighfaar- to seek forgiveness for all our wrong doings.
- The best dua which can be done on the day of Arafah is La ilaha illallAllah wahdahu laa shareeka lahu lahul-mulku wa lahul-hamdu wa huwa alaa kulli shay'in Qadeer. (None has the right to be worshipped but Allah alone, Who has no partner. His is the domain and His is the praise, and He is able to do all things).Let us reap the immense rewards of these days by keeping our tongue moist and our hearts satisfied with the remembrance of Allah (swt) . Let us not forget that with every utterance of Dhikr, a tree is planted for us in Jannah.
May Allah accept these days from us.
( Written By Shazia Khan , Management , The Islamic Kidstore )