Sep 09 , 2021
ARE MUSLIM YOUTH EMBARASSED OF THEIR FAITH ?
The answer Is YES for atleast some of them
. A recent study done revealed 1 in 3 Muslim kids did not want to tell others they were Muslims. 1 in 6 childen just pretended to be Muslims.
Some common cases are as below . Names are changed
1) 12 yr old Asma does not like her Mom visiting her school as she wears a hijab which is is contradiction to what other parents wear.
2) 13 yr old Yusuf tags himself a “LIBERAL MUSLIM” in front of his friends as he does not want to show his support to the practices of islam which his friends mock.
3) 11 yr old Hira lies to her friends that they did not sacrificed a goat during Bakri eid as she feels they may develop dislike for her..
One may assume what is causing it?
Are these kids hypocrites?
Before we start the blame game as we always do and start blaming Media for the incorrect projection of Muslims and their faith /
.On a closer introspection ther is more to it than we see. Many of us are born being Muslims. But we understand deen to be just Salah ,Fasting,Quran,Hajj,Zakah.
But there is more to it than blindly following these 5 pillars .We proudly flaunt our degrees,positions indicating how well versed and experts we are in our fields.
Not realizing that these benefits last not more than 60-70 yrs of our life if we live that long.
But we never spare any time to understand the PURPOSE OF THIS LIFE? WHY ARE WE HERE?
WHAT ARE WE SUPPOSED TO DO?
We spent yrs from Kindergarten to post graduation reading several books ,but fail to read and understand just 114 chapters of the Quran.
Since we do not know our faith well and hence not convinced of it. NOR ARE OUR KIDS? Its just generations after generations blindly following rites of Islam without ever trying to know the purpose and benefits behind.SO WHAT DO WE DO?
1) Educate ourselves about our religion first and then our kids. Its better to enroll in Tafseer ,Fiqh or other Islamic courses.
2) Understand there is nothing like a liberal or conservative Muslim. Islam itself is a MODERATE religion. Its followers are referred to as being ‘UMMATUL WASAT’ ( Moderates) in the quran . It does not require any more revisions or tags.
3) If kids keep questioning about their faith. Answer them. If you do not know the answers then ask some experts. But do not leave their queries unanswered without giving an answer which satisfies them. These doubts are a source of fitnah.
4) Need the right Islamic scholars to represent the faith on Media and other such platforms .
5) Be a support to your kids . Their struggle is huge in handling two contradictory environments of their home and outside.
6) Equip them with tools to answer misconceptions about their religion.
LET THEM FEEL EMPOWERED BY THEIR FAITH AND NOT LIVE IT LIKE A COMPROMISE
LASTLY DUAAS . LOTS OF THEM . Some I have mentioned here
1)Oh Allah, grant our children the ability to make clear decisions and let them always be attracted to good things that are pure, noble, true, and just.
2) O Allah I realize that parenting a child is a very difficult task and I turn to You in humility for Your help.
3) Oh Allah, put a hedge of safety around our children. Protect their bodies, minds, and emotions from any kind of evil and harm.
4) Draw them close to You for protection from every ill and evil influence of our society, whether it’s apparent to us or not
5) Oh Allah, guide them away from any pride, selfishness, jealousy, hypocrisy, malice, and greed and make them uncomfortable with ,
6) Oh Allah, grant our children the ability to make clear decisions and let them always be attracted to good things that are pure, noble, true, and just.
7) Oh Allah, I pray that they never stray from the path of deen and that You give them a future filled with Your best promises.
8) Oh Allah, please grant me the company of pious friends, relatives, extended community members, and teachers who will be inspirational role models for my children and will help me raise them to be the best of believers.
9) Oh Allah, grant my children noble professions with halal incomes that give them respect and dignity in Your Eyes and in the eyes of their fellow human beings.
10) Oh Allah, I pray for a close, loving, happy and fulfilling relationship with them for all the days of our lives and to be reunited with them in Jannat ul Firdau